About O+PBook now
Opened in January 2015, Odys + Penelope is a casual, churrasco and grill by Quinn and Karen Hatfield, the culinary couple behind the popular neighborhood eatery, The Sycamore Kitchen. At the heart of Odys + Penelope are its open grill, wood-fired smoker and Brazilian churrasco. Using these elemental live-fire cooking methods, the restaurant offers an eclectic menu of flavorful and simply prepared California fare, with a strong emphasis on locally sourced and sustainable meats, seafood and seasonal vegetables.
“[T]he ambiance is neighborhoody but the food is destination worthy.”
Starters and small bites include The Farmer’s Dozen Salad with 12 seasonal raw and roasted veggies, herbs, pepita “butter” and lime vinaigrette and Hot Skillet Focaccia served with dandelion greens and parmesan. Moving toward entrées, hearty plates like Slow Grilled Wagyu Tri-tip with charred broccolini and O+P béarnaise appear alongside lighter offerings such as Grilled Line Caught Swordfish with barley, mushrooms, cherry balsamic and salsa verde. Seasonal sides run the gamut and include Creamy Cauliflower and Millet with walnut pesto and Panang Sautéed Blue Lake Beans with roasted peanuts. Also not to be missed are “The Specials from the Brasero,” a section of the menu offering simple preparations from the fire that are made for sharing such as the Dry-Rubbed Smoked Short Ribs with Quinn’s Western Sweet Sauce and Bacon Wrapped Chicken Thighs with lemon date sauce. Finishing the meal is a selection of Karen’s critically acclaimed desserts including Chocolate Pie with Spanish peanuts in a rye crust, served with malted ice cream.
Odys + Penelope offers a full slate of craft beer and wine, as well as handcrafted cocktails such as the Bloody Derby made with blood orange juice, honey and rye whiskey.
Original Greek-style columns in the District La Brea space sparked the inspiration for the name, which pays tribute to the legendary couple, Odysseus and Penelope of Homer’s Greek epic, the Odyssey. The restaurant features a modern rustic design with a semi-open kitchen allowing guests a view the live-fire cooking elements at work.
Good to know...
- (323) 939-1033
- Mon-Thurs 6pm-10pm
- Friday 6pm-11pm
- Sat 10am-2:30pm and 5:30pm-11pm
- Sun 10am-2:30pm and 5:30pm-9:30pm
- We serve dinner 7 nights a week.
- Weekend brunch, every Saturday &Sunday.
- Walk ins welcome! - Between our bar, communal table and chefs counter we have close to 30 seats just for walk ins.
- We have a full bar & 12 stools where we serve the full menu.
- Corkage is $30 a bottle with a 2 bottle maximum.
- We are wheelchair accessible.
- We accept all major credit cards.
- We love kids and have high chairs.
- Valet parking is $7.
- We do not have a private dining room.
- We have vegan, vegetarian and gluten free options.
- Photography by DYLAN + JENI
127 s La Brea Ave.
- Odys + Penelope is located in the middle of the hip neighborhood "district La Brea"
- There is a gridlock zone in front of restaurant on weekdays before 7pm.
- Otherwise there is metered parking all along La Brea (see posted signs for details)
- Valet parking is $ 7 and is located on the corner of 1st and La Brea
- There is a public parking structure on the corner of 2nd and La brea(see posted signs for rates)
- The is a public parking lot on the corner of 1st and La Brea (see posted signs for rates)